Wednesday, June 11, 2008

plotter or pantser

I've always considered myself a plotter. I have the basic half page outline and a list of my characters and what they look like. The outline is something I go by but not necessarily stick to. It mainly helps keep me focused.

However, just the other day, I discovered that I'm a 'sort-of pantser' as well. A lot of my action and scenes I don't plan in advance. They happen as I write. They come to me during my non-writing time as well.

I daydream a lot, and ideas come to me in the shower, in the car, even doing the dishes! So I can't truthfully say I plot to the last detail. I do fly by the seat of my pants at different times.

This was a real surprise to me. But I still need my basic outline . I just can't give that up yet! I still need to know my basic characters (I add to them as the story unfolds) and the basic plot. From there, anything can happen! (and usually does LOL)

Angela

2 comments:

Savanna Kougar said...

Hi Angela, I know what you mean by those scenes arriving when doing the mundane tasks of life, or just relaxing.
Too cool about your actions scenes!

Skylar Masey said...

[I daydream a lot, and ideas come to me in the shower, in the car, even doing the dishes! So I can't truthfully say I plot to the last detail. I do fly by the seat of my pants at different times.]

Hear hear! I'm exactly the same. My family thinks I'm crazy when I whip out my keychain pen and jot down ideas on anything I can use as paper nearby. Of course, I'm not like this all the time :0)