Friday, January 11, 2008

A Change of Medium

We've all done it—written articles for newsletters or writers' sites in an attempt to pass our knowledge on to others. Usually I can riff on any topic, throwing in comic relief here and there, making witty comments and ancedotes. This week I wrote an article for my local chapter's newsletter and had probably one of the most difficult times writing a non-fiction article I've ever had.

What's up with that?

It was only a 400-500 word article, so not very long, but you'd think I had the total removal of all my teeth without anasthetic just to get the thing written. Why was it so hard? Why did I sit and stare at the keyboard and screen as if the blinking cursor mocked my every letter, space and punctuation. It was a completely painful experience. It wasn't mandatory or compulsory, but when you're a member of a group it's nice to participate. I generally enjoy writing the articles (this is I think the third or fourth I've written for the newsletter), but I really had a hard time.

Again, I ask why?

This exercise has made me appreciate those days when the words flow from me like gravy over mashed taters. The thing is, I totally enjoy balancing all the fiction I write with the occasional non-fiction. It's fun and can be just as creative as the short stories. However, it did make me want to rethink the way I do things. Or at least the way I limit my focus.

Often times, my thoughts are scattered, blowing in the breeze like so many fallen leaves. When I sit down at the computer I really attempt to center my thoughts and pump the work out. Usually, I'll go through periods where it's harder to produce than others—all writers go through times like that—but taking 3 days to write a 500 word article...a little ridiculous, even for a procrastinator like me. But I found myself staring at the screen...mind drifting...focus shifting...oompa music playing...Gilmore Girls blaring...

Now that the new year has come upon us, I need to reevaluate my time table and schedule for what I'm writing and when. I had thought to write a paranormal comedy for The Wild Rose Press' Halloween story deadline in January. Doesn't look like that is going to happen. Though I love the story I came up with and will eventually finish it, I think I need to stay on track with the other 3 novels I'm currently working on.

So, what does this have to do with that blasted article I wrote?

Glad you asked. It proves that sometimes we create our own havoc in our writing lives. That it doesn't matter what form my writing takes, detours are bound to occur.

-Kat

1 comment:

psychic said...

No matter where your life is now, Find out what is up ahead!

If you are feeling uncertain about any aspect of your life or simply just want to know what is up ahead give us a call and be pleasantly surprised with our candid readings.

No matter what your concern is, we are here to help you with our skills as Psychics, Astrologers and Tarot Readers. Whether your concern is Financial, Romantic, Employment or just every day stressors that can make life less tolerable, we can look at these and more to assist you in finding your true path to fulfillment and happiness by utilizing Astrological, Psychic or Tarot readings.

Read More at www.unlimitedpsychicreadings.com